Monday, July 28, 2014

How To Use A Simple Staple Of Your Wardrobe To Fit Any Occasion: Little Grey Dress Edition

Today I am going to show you how to take a simple staple of your wardrobe and turn it into something fabulous, for a whole variety of different occasions. I will show you how to style it to work for everything from, a night out on the town, to a not-too-hot-not-too-cold summers day, to a rock and roll concert, to a sweet flower child look.

Almost everyone has heard of the LBD (Little Black Dress) but what about the LGD (Little Grey Dress)? One of my all time favorite articles of clothing that I have ever purchased is my Grey 'Love Delirious Los Angeles' dress that I bought at Marshalls a few months ago.  I love it because its so simple to style and can be worn for so many different occasions-all you have to do is add a few touches of your own!

This is the staple that I choose to start with. Its very simple but still has a certain sophistication to it. 




A Not-Too-Hot-Not-Too-Cold Summer's Day 


Summer is about making fun, colorful and very bold statements. To do that, I choose to add a colorful chunky necklace, that I bought at a thrift store in Downtown Willow Glen, along with a pair bright solid colored blue tights. I went with a turquoise blue for the tights to bring down some of the turquoise of the rocks on the necklace.  If you have long enough hair, or the weather is too hot to wear tights, another fun substitute (or addition) is a bold or bright colorful hairpiece that plays off the color of the necklace you chose. In this case however, the majority of my hair accessories (that I can still use with my short hair) are currently packed away for college, therefore instead of a bold color statement, being through a hair clip or hair bow (which would have been my go to accessory) I went with a fun teal clip-in hair extension. 



A Night Out On The Town 


Every girl on a date night or night out on the town needs a little sparkle. To start off this look I added a blue and purple shimmery ball necklace that I purchased at Cost Plus World Market. It adds a slightly whimsical  touch with its shimmer and its fun jewel shaped beads. I then added a black designer sweatshirt with golden adornments. I purchased this jacket at a small local boutique in downtown Los Gatos, called Thats So Cute, that unfortunately went out of business last year. I then zipped the jacket part way up and added a braided headband to match my hair color. This was a easy way to add a cute and simple hairstyle. 


Rock and Roll Concert 


To the initial dress, I first added my favorite Crossroads leather jacket (the one talked about in my previous post), because we all know that every rocker chick needs her leather! I then zipped the jacket up, leaving enough open and unzipped at the top, to show off the black lace around the neck of the dress. I then added, a gold charm style necklace that I bought on sale at H & M. Next I needed a pop of color, for which I decided on red tights and a off white and gold bow. The gold from the necklace and the gold from the bow play nicely off each other adding a hint of bling!


Sweet Flower Child


Adding a light colored, pink and white flowered headband and white tights to match, is the perfect way to make the little grey dress fun, and sweet. Last but not least, I than chose to add a pink crystal necklace to draw the color down and top off the outfit in adorable flirty way! 



If you don't already own a grey dress I would highly recommend it, because it is a great color to be both casual and elegant or fancy. It gives you a great blank canvas to have fun with your outfits and completely add your own style.

Have Fun and Keep Styling! 

Bisous, 
Emily & Liana (Limly) 

No comments:

Post a Comment